Health Benefits of Lemons
Did you know if you are throwing away lemon peels, you are missing out on the many benefits and uses they provide. You will be surprised to know that lemon peels are more nutritionally dense than lemons! Keep reading to learn the benefits of and interesting ways to include lemons in your wellness and beauty routine.
Studies have shown that lemons are good for skin, weight loss, oral hygiene, heart and bone health, and immunity.
- Drinking lemon water keeps you hydrated, which is beneficial to your body and skin. While there is no set answer on how much water you should drink every day. But, the eight glasses a day rule is a good goal for the average person. The bottom line, if adding lemon slices to your water helps you drink more water – go for it! Staying hydrated is one of the easiest and kindest things we can do for our body and internal plumbing.
- Lemons are a good source of Vitamin C. Working as an antioxidant, Vitamin C will help boost your immune system and protect your cells from free radicals.
Vitamin C may help keep your skin supple and reduce wrinkles. Keeping our skin soft and taught as we age will take years off your looks. We all want to look younger, and squeezing lemon into your water will help your skin glow.
- Lemon water may help reduce weight gain. The polyphenol antioxidants in lemons may reduce chronic inflammation which can lead to weight gain. Also drinking water every day can have a positive effect on weight loss by suppressing your desire to over eat, rev up your metabolism, and help improve your exercise. The simple act of drinking more water and adding lemon for its health benefits is certainly a win/win on the weight loss front.
- Drinking a cup of hot water with lemon juice every morning may help wake up your digestive system and work as a natural laxative. Replacing just one cup of coffee with hot water and lemon will reduce your caffeine intake and help flush out your system with one little switch.
- Halitosis, chronic bad breath, can be an unpleasant issue for some people. Drinking a glass of water with lemon in the morning helps prevent bad breath bacteria caused by dry mouth. The acid present in lemon neutralizes odors which can fight unpleasant breath. The next time your toothbrush doesn’t seem to do the trick, reach for a tall glass of water and squeeze the juice of one lemon into it. Your mouth will wake up fast!
- Lemons contain citric acid which makes urine less acidic and may even break up small kidney stones. This is good news for people who suffer from painful kidney stones. Sipping a daily glass of water with lemon slices could help prevent dealing with the issue altogether.
- By applying the juice of a lemon to your hair natural highlights should shine through. When you expose your hair to sunlight after applying lemon juice, the citric acid opens up your hair cuticles. This strips away the first layer of hair color, resulting in a nature change in color. A word of caution, if your hair is color treated, the citric acid may react differently, so test before your squeeze.
So pucker up, the health benefits of lemons far out weight the tart, bitter taste.